Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The yellow wallpaper



What is this?


a) The inside of a vampire's tomb
b) A goth style painting done by a first grader
c) The ugliest wallpaper one could ever imagine which also happened to be hanging on the wall in our master bathroom.

If you answered c, you win a prize! Yes, the previous owner of our new home actually thought it was a good idea to hang black glossy wallpaper with a scribble-scratch finish all over the bathroom wall. After all, is there any other way to perfectly complement bright yellow floor tile than with black? I don't know much about the previous owner other than the fact that he was gay. I don't mean to stereotype, but with ten out of ten male designers on television being as gay as the day is long, I wrongfully expected a little more in the style department.

So while Hubby was at work and I was home alone I decided that it was time to exercise those demons that lived on my wall by stripping off the wallpaper on my own. It was surprisingly very easy and I was so proud, until I saw this under it:


No, you didn't momentarily go on an acid trip. This is the wallpaper that was under the wallpaper in the main bathroom. Lesson learned: Be prepared for what you might find when you start peeling back those layers.


Until Next Time...


P.S. If you've never read the story The Yellow Wallpaper, it's about a woman who goes crazy staring at the yellow wallpaper in her house. I wonder if she lived in my bathroom.

No comments: